When it comes to building a custom home, one of the most important decisions you will need to make is which builder to engage for the construction of your new home. But with so many different builders to choose from, how do you know which one is right for you? Here are our top tips for choosing a home builder for your new custom home.
1. Define Your Needs and Budget
First things first, you will need to figure out what you want for your new home and how much you would like to spend. Take some time to determine your specific needs for your new home and set a budget that works for you.
Check out our How Much Does It Cost to Build a Custom Home? blog article for more helpful tips on how to budget for your new home.
2. Research and Gather Recommendations
There are several ways you can find recommendations for custom home builders. One of the best ways is to reach out to your friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors who have recently built custom homes for recommendations. They’ll have some great suggestions to consider and can share their experiences and insights into the builders they’ve worked with.
You can also go online to find custom home builders in your area. Online directories, such as Houzz or HomeStars can be wonderful resources. Doing a simple search online using relevant keywords such as “custom home builders in [your location]” can also provide you with a good list of builders to get started.
3. Check Experience and Portfolio
Next, you will want to look at what level and type of experience a custom builder has and check out their previous work. Find custom home builders who have a good amount of relevant experience in the field. Take a look at their portfolios of completed projects on their websites or even ask to visit some of the homes they’ve built to see if their style and quality align with your preferences. Knowing what type of construction experience your builder will bring to your project is vital to ensuring that they are the right fit for your new home.
4. Verify Credentials and Licenses
It’s essential that the builders you’re considering have the necessary licenses and insurance. Check to see if they hold any professional certifications or memberships in reputable organizations to ensure they meet industry standards.
5. Seek References and Reviews
One of the best ways to check a builder’s reputation is to request a list of their references and read reviews. Get in touch with the builder’s past clients to see how their experience was working with the builder. Ask them about things like communication, adherence to timelines and budgets, service on any warranty issues after possession, and overall satisfaction. Don’t forget to read online reviews and testimonials as well! These can be very helpful when deciding which builder to move forward with.
6. Interview Multiple Builders
Narrow down your list and set up meetings with a few builders you’re interested in. Prepare a list of questions to discuss their process, timelines, warranty, and any concerns you may have.
Here are some key questions you may consider asking:
- How long have you been in the custom home building business?
- How do you handle project management and communication throughout the construction process? Who will be the dedicated point of contact for my project?
- Can you provide a timeline for the design and construction process, including key milestones and estimated completion date?
- What type of warranty do you offer on your homes? What does it cover, and for how long?
- How do you handle change orders and unexpected additional costs? Is there a process for addressing modifications during the construction phase?
- How do you select subcontractors and suppliers?
- What is your payment schedule and structure? Are there any upfront costs or deposits required?
- How do you ensure quality control during the construction process? Do you conduct inspections at different stages?
- How do you handle any issues or problems that may arise after the completion of the home?
Pay attention to the timeliness of their response to your inquiry, how well they communicate and their responses to your questions during your initial meeting with them.
7. Visit Current Construction Sites
If possible, ask to check out some of the homes currently under construction by the builders you’re considering. This will give you a firsthand look at their organization and the quality of their work. Also, note the cleanliness of their work site, as this is a good indication of how they will care for your home during the construction process.
8. Review Contracts and Warranties
Take your time to carefully review the contracts presented by the builders. Pay attention to details such as the scope of work, payment schedule, timelines, change order procedures, and warranty coverage. If needed, seek legal advice to fully understand the terms.
9. Trust Your Gut
Ultimately, trust your instincts and choose a builder who feels right for you. Consider factors like their communication style, professionalism, and how well they understand and align with your vision.
By following these steps, you will be well on your way to finding a custom home builder that matches your preferences and can ultimately bring your dream home to life.
Ready to make your dream home happen? Braemyn Homes is Calgary’s preferred custom home builder. Our clients can expect the highest standard of excellence delivered with exceptional craftsmanship and superb customer care. Call us at (403) 606-2923 or fill out our contact form to see how we can help you bring your dream home to life.